We all make onion soups differently, and it’s not the soup so much, as the lovely cheese and bread on the top that makes it a special soup for any occasion. I puree mine to make it palatable for my kids, but you can make it as a chunky option, with the onions obvious in the dish.
French Onion Soup Recipe
- 750 g Onions Peeled and Thinly Sliced for the Chunky Version, or Finely Diced for Smooth
- 15 g Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Plain Flour
- 800 ml Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 4 - 6 Slices White Bread
- 100 g Cheddar Cheese Grated
- Saute the onions in the butter and olive oil until they begin to caramelise. Add the flour and stir well for a minute or two.
- Set your soup maker to either Chunky or Smooth, depending on which option you prefer.
- Toast your break when the soup is ready for serving, then cut the slices in half, then sprinkle on cheese and either grill or microwave until the cheese begins to melt.
- Top the soup in your bowls with a couple of slices of cheese on toast for serving.
- Sprinkle any remaining cheese on top of the bowl.